♦ Precautions for LCM
1-1 Precautions in handling LCD Modules (hereinafter LCM's)
PalmTech's LCMs have been assembled and accurately calibrated before delivery. Please observe the following criteria when handling.
- Do not subject the module to excessive shock.
- Do not modify the tab on the metal holder.
- Do not tamper with the printed circuit board.
- Limit soldering of the printed circuit board to I/O terminals only.
- Do not touch the zebra strip nor modify its location.
1-2 Static electricity warning
PalmTech's LCM uses CMOS LSI technology. Therefore, strict measures to avoid static electricity discharge are followed through all processes from manufacturing through shipping. When handling an LCM, take sufficient care to prevent static electricity discharge as you would and CMOS IC.
- Do not take the LCM from its anti-static bag until it's to be assembled. LCM's are individually packaged in bags specially treated to resist static electricity. When storing, keep the LCM packed in the original bags, or store them in a container processed to be resistant to static electricity, or in an electric conductive container.
- Always use a ground strap when handling a LCM. Always use a ground strap while working with the module, from the time it is taken out of the anti-static bag until it is assembled. When it is necessary to transfer the LCM, once it has been taken out of the bag, always place it in an electric conductive container. Avoid wearing clothes made of chemical fibers, the use of cotton or conductive treated fiber clothing is recommended.
- Use a no-leak iron for soldering the LCM. The soldering iron to be used for soldering the I/O terminals to the LCM are to be insulated or grounded at the iron tip.
- Always ground electrical apparatuses required for assembly. Electrical apparatuses required to assemble the LCM into a product, i.e. electrical screw drivers are to be first grounded to avoid transmitting spike noises from the motor.
- Assure that the work bench is properly grounded.
- Peel off the LCM protective film slowly. The module is attached with a film to protect the display surface from contamination, damage, adhesion of flux, etc. Peeling off this film abruptly could case static electricity to be generated, so peel the tape slowly.
- Pay attention to the humidity in the work area. 50~60% RH is recommended.
1-3 Precautions for the soldering of an LCM
The following procedures should be followed when soldering the LCM :
- Solder only to the I/O terminal.
- Use a no leakage soldering iron and pay particular attention to the following :
(1) Conditions for soldering I/O terminals :
- Temperature at iron tip : 280°C + 10 °C
- Soldering time : 3-4 sec/terminal
- Type of solder : Eutectic solder (rosin flux filled)
- Note: Avoid using flux, because it could penetrate the module and the module may get contaminated during cleaning. Peel off protective film after soldering of the I/O terminals is finished. By following this procedure, the surface contamination, caused by the dispersion of flux while soldering, can be avoided.
(2) Removing the wiring :
- When a lead wire or a connector to the I/O terminal of the module is to be removed, remove it only after the solder at the connection has sufficiently melted since the I/O terminal is a through hole. If it is forcefully removed, it could cause the terminal to break or peel. The recommended procedure is to use a suction-type solder remover. Caution, do not reheat the I/O terminal more than 3 times.
1-4. Long-term storage
If the correct method of storage is not followed, deterioration of the display material polarizer and oxidation of the I/O terminal plating may make the soldering process difficult. Please comply with the following procedure.
- Store in the shipping container.
- If the shipping container is not available, place in anti-static bags and seal the opening
- Store the modules where they are not subjected to direct sunlight or a fluorescent lamp. Store in a temperature range of 0°C~35°C with low relative humidity.
1-5. Precautions in use of LCD modules
- Do not give any external shock.
- Do not wipe the surface with hard materials.
- Do not apply excessive force on the surface.
- Do not expose to direct sunlight or fluorescent light for a long time.
- Avoid storage in high temperature and high humidity.
- When storage for a long time at 40℃ or higher is required, R/H shall be less than 60%.
- Liquid in LCD is hazardous substance. Must not lick, swallow when the liquid is attached to your hands, skin, clothes etc. Wash it out thoroughly.